Saturday 13 July 2013

A year on

This time last year we were in the middle of boxes and Pickfords vans, as we moved to Edinburgh. I thought I would do a bit of a review of our first year here in the capital city. Sometimes I can't quite believe it has been a year, yet at others Stranraer now feels so far away.

In the past year we have moved (twice), which was not easy. Staying in the temporary rented house was not easy, it was difficult to settle when you didn't know how long it would be for, and space was cramped. But we are now in our lovely house and feel a lot more settled - I have even got my craft space sorted out. (promise to actually take some photos of the house soon)


I have found a part-time job as a Reception/Admin person at a Church run charity for drugs and alcohol counselling. I work two days a week, which is OK for now, but I might want more hours at some future date, when the rest of my life settles down (if it ever does).

I have managed to get to various Christian run courses in the past year - Freedom in Christ, the Grace Course, Exploring Prayer, Clan Women. These have been very helpful in my faith journey and I am sure there are more opportunities out there for me.

My eldest son started University and we have adapted to him leaving home, and coming back again for the summer. My youngest son has settled well in his new school and has made some new friends here.

Church wise I think we have had a good first year. My husband feels settled in the charge and looking forward to the challenges ahead. I have found it a bit difficult to get to know people as the church is bigger and a different community than we have been used to. I have also found it a bit difficult to know what my role should be, as I think it will be different to what I was doing before.

Edinburgh as a city is growing on me as I begin to find my way about. During this current hot weather I have enjoyed going to Princess Street Gardens to sit and eat my lunch.  I have also joined a Book Group which is good as it is encouraging me to read more and try out some different types of books.


There are still some things I miss about Stranraer, mainly people, and my Friday 4o'clock coffee with friends.

It has been a hard year, tiring at times, with lots of changes and things going on, some tears along the way, but we know that God has been with us at all times, and that we are where He wants us to be.

My word for this year is Embrace and looking back at what I have just written I think I have made a good start on the word and am looking forward to the next half of the year and the opportunities and new things that God will place in my way.

If you chose a word for the year how are you getting on with it?

1 comment:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a wonderful post. So glad to hear you are settling in. I loved Edinburgh when we visited.
Rinda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...