Monday 21 December 2009

This is how we Christmas: Celebrating Christ


Yes, I know it's not Thursday, but I was not the only one having a busy week last week, so it was agreed to do This is how we Christmas today instead. This week we are talking about How we celebrate Christ in Christmas.

When my children were small my Mum knitted this Nativity scene for them, so that they could touch it without worrying about breaking anything. We put it up at the start of December every year.

Yesterday at Church it is the annual JIGSAW (Sunday School) Service. For the past few years, due to small numbers of children, we have done a sort of tableau effect, with the children forming the nativity scene with Mary, Joseph, shepherds, angels, wise men, while the appropriate carols are being sung. This year, due to the snow, some of the youngsters couldn't make it, so we called on some adult volunteers to help. It worked really well and the children really love it.

This year for the first time I have put bible verses into the boys Advent boxes as well as chocolate and a joke, we gather together as a family and read the verse together.

On Christmas Eve I take the Church Family Nativity Service, while hubbie takes a service elsewhere. This is usually a noisy but fun service where the children all come to the front and we place the nativity figures into the stable while the story is told.

How do you keep Christ in Christmas?

4 comments:

Lauren Delaine said...

I just love that Nativity set your mother knitted! That is truly special!

scrappyjacky said...

I love the knitted Nativity...what a wonderful idea for children.I also have a little Nativity which comes out at christmas.

Rhonda said...

The Christmas Eve service sounds so fun!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Sounds like you're doing a great job recognizing the true meaning of Christmas! I love your nativity. I have 3 nativities and would like to continue to add to the collection.
Rinda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...