Tuesday 1 December 2009

The start

I can't quite believe today is the 1st of  December, the start of Advent. I feel like I have missed the last three months somewhere. Having discovered that I had no Christmas paper (honest!) I did an online shop last night, so can't actually start my journal until the goodies arrive. Meantime I shall make do with blogging!

The children were excited this morning as they got to open their chocolate advent calendar. We also have an Advent tree, which Mum knitted last year.


In the advent boxes this year I have put some different things for each day. Today we had a joke: What do monkeys sing at Christmas? Jungle bells, jungle bells. A Christmas fact: In the Ukraine, if you find a spider web in the house on Christmas morning, it is believed to be a harbinger of good luck! There once lived a woman so poor, says a Ukranian folk tale, that she could not afford Christmas decorations for her family. One Christmas morning, she awoke to find that spiders had trimmed her children's tree with their webs. When the morning sun shone of then, the webs turned to silver and gold. An articial spider and web are often included in the decorations on Ukrainian Christmas trees.


To help us remember why we celebrate Christmas each day there will be a short verse from the Bible, which will build up into a journey to Christmas. Today's verse was Luke1:1 and 3-4. Luke sets out his Gospel first showing that he has carefully researched the events that surround the truth about Jesus.

I also got to open my first parcel from the Advent Swap at FaithscrappersUK, I got a lovely ball of fluffy white wool.


And lastly, my manifesto from Shimelle's JYC class about why I am doing a journal.

1. I enjoy doing a journal and, as I have done it for the past 3 years, feel it is now part of my Christmas traditions.
2. It helps me to spend a short time day for me and to be creative.
3. To help me  remember the joy and love that there is at Christmas.
4. This year especially, as the last three months have not been easy, to bring back some joy and fun again into our lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the advent boxes.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing other culture's take on Christmas ... but I could do without the spiders .. unless they do leave some gold! LOL! We also read a Bible verse today (I have created tasks on pieces of paper and are drawing one a day until Christmas ... today's was Luke also.)

SarahLP said...

Hi Fiona,
Love your advent calendar and your knitted advent tree, how cute is that!
Have fun with your new goodies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...