Tuesday 4 February 2014

The Last Runaway


At our Christmas Book Group Dinner we did a Secret Santa, where we all bought a book and then all received a book, then in January we spoke about the book we had received. My book was The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier. This was the first book I had read by this author, although I have seen the film Girl with a Pearl Earring.

I enjoyed the book and it was an easy read. Set in 1850s Honor is a Quaker who leaves her home in Dorset with her sister to travel to America, where her sister is to be married. Unfortunately her sister dies on their arrival so Honor has to face a  new and different life on her own. She has to face the realities of the slave trade and where she lives is on the route for runaways heading to Canada. She has to decide what to do when her Quaker principles, that all are equal, come into conflict with the realities of that time. I won't tell you what happens in case you want to read it. At times I found it a bit slow and Honor herself is not as strong a character as you might expect. But it was a good book and worth a read.

Did you get any good books at Christmas?

1 comment:

Lynette (NZ) said...

Happy New Year Fiona and thanks for your lovely blog comment. You really should read Girl with a Pearl Earring - I liked the movie but loved the book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...