Monday 8 December 2008

Catch Up on Poems

I've been in bed with a horrible cold for the last few days, feeling a bit better today but my throat is now sore! I think my lovely son gave me the cold - he was off school last week too - isnt he kind!!!

Anyway thought I'd better post a couple of the poems that the boys have had in the Advent Calendar.

Day 4 - The Christmas Tree

Of all the trees in the woods and fields
There's none like the Christmas tree;
Tho' rich and rare is the fruit he yields,
The strangest of trees is he.
Some drink their fill from the shower or rill;
No cooling draught needs he;
Some bend and break when the stroms awak,
But they reach not the Christmas tree.
When wintry winds thro' the forests sweep,
And snow robes the leafless limb;
When cold and still is the ice-bound deep,
O this is the time for him.
Beneath the dome of the sunny home,
He stands with all his charms;
'Mid laugh and song from the youthful throng,
As they gaze on his fruitful arms.
There's golden fruit on the Christmas tree,
And gems for the fait and gay;
The lettered page for the mind bears he.
And robes for the wintry day.
And there are toys for the girls and boys;
And eyes that years bedim
Grow strangely bright, with a youthful light,
As they pluck from the pendant limb.

Day 5 - When Santa Claus COmes

A good time is coming, I wish it were here,
The very best time in the whole of the year;
I'm counting each day on my fingers and thumbs -
the weeks that must pass before Santa Claus comes.

Then when the first snowflakes begin to come down,
And the wind whistles sharp and the branches are brown,
I'll not mind the cold, though my fingers it numbs,
For it brings the time nearer when Santa Claus comes.


I'll be back later to catch up with the rest.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...