Sunday 11 March 2012

A Pause in Lent 3


Following the list that Floss prepared this week's topic is Liberality - Pursuit of Will. I was thinking about our will and God's will and was reminded of these verses from Mark 14, when Jesus is in the Garden of Gethsemane in the lead up to the events of Easter. Jesus prays

Abba,[f] Father,”he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Here Jesus is committting himself to the will of God. As Christians we can spend a lot of time trying to work out what the will of God is for our lives, what jobs we should have, where we should live, sometimes we can torment ourselves so much we are afraid to do anything in case it is not 'God's will' and I am sure that it is not what God our Father wants. I have come to think that knowing the will of God is tied up with trusting in God, if we walk with him daily, reading and praying and trusting in him, that is what he asks of us. Certain circumstances in my own life and work at the moment have caused me to question and to seek His will and I believe that I am being asked to TRUST in him at the moment. These verses from Jeremiah 29:11 have a great significance for me at the moment.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

As you pursue God's will for your life remember to Trust in Him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think sometimes 'is it God's will' can be absolutely paralysing. It is as you show, also an excuse for not trusting God or not trusting ourselves.

Floss said...

This is fantastic, Fiona (I like the way that the subject of Liberality has led to such different thoughts). A friend of mine is certain she heard God's voice once. She was agonising over a house-move choice that she had to make, and asked God what he wanted her to do. He replied, 'I don't know, what do you want to do?' and at that moment she felt he'd told her that, while some decisions are between God's way and the wrong way, many other decisions are open-ended, and either choice will lead us somewhere where we can walk with God and serve him in our new situation. I've always found that very encouraging, myself. So long as we TRUST, as you say, we will serve God wherever we find ourselves.

Elderberry-Rob said...

For some time I have liked the thought that we could be accompanied by a personal angel that guides us to hear and do God's will - I have never heard a voice to be honest but often feel I am being steered. It's quite a pleasant thought and in no way is meant to detract from what God is doing by the way - but I think maybe he uses 'helpers' for us stubborn ones!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...